I figured it out. I'll try to be detailed with exactly what I did. Things might be a bit different since I have VMWare Player, but they shouldn't be.
Go to the folder
Untar the file vmmon.tar using (you might need su/sudo to do these)
tar xf vmmon.tar
Edit the file ./vmmon-only/linux/driver.c
Apply these changes, courtesy of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7841306.html#7841306 At around line 400, delete lines starting with a - and add ones starting with a + (don't actually put the +). There's a way to do this using the patch command but whatever. If you know how to read patch files you'll see the user on that form included another change to another file but it all works without me carrying that out.
#ifdef VMX86_DEVEL unregister_chrdev(linuxState.major, linuxState.deviceName);
- if (misc_deregister(&linuxState.misc))
- Warning("Module %s: error unregistering\n", linuxState.deviceName);
Backup the original
mv vmmon.tar vmmon.tarbackup
Retar the files
tar cf vmmon.tar ./vmmon-only
I'm a little iffy from this point on, since I did a few things and didn't test after each step. So both of these might not be strictly necessary.
Recompile libs using the driver.c you just edited
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
Run VMWare, telling it to use the libs you just compiled
sudo VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_LIBS=yes vmware